August 27, 2008 – Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C), a new initiative founded to raise philanthropic dollars for accelerating ground-breaking cancer research, has announced a number of additional promotional and co-venture collaborations in advance of its September 5 fundraising telecast. This eclectic group of supporters range from individual artists to international corporations donating services, promotional opportunities and sale proceeds.
“Cancer claims one person every minute of every day in the United States. It is a disease that affects us all and one in which everybody and every dollar can make a difference,” says Laura Ziskin, executive producer of the September 5 broadcast and a cancer survivor. “We are extremely grateful for the generous support we’re receiving from individuals who are donating $1.00 in honor of a loved one on www.standup2cancer.org to the companies who are leveraging the power of their brands to help win this fight.”
Many leading philanthropists, organizations and corporations support the Stand Up To Cancer mission, including the Sidney Kimmel Foundation as well as Major League Baseball, Amgen, AARP, Bloomberg Philanthropies, GlaxoSmithKline, Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), Revlon, Wallis Annenberg & The Annenberg Foundation, Alliance for Global Good, Lee Jeans, New York Giants, Philips, Saks Fifth Avenue, Steve Tisch, Stonyfield Farm, The Island Def Jam Music Group and many others. In addition to ABC, CBS and NBC, SU2C major media partners include AOL, Condé Nast Media Group, eBay Inc., Facebook, Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., Hearst Corporation, Los Angeles Times, Meredith Corporation, The New York Times Company, Time Inc., and WebMD.
The most recent companies and individuals to affirm their support of SU2C are:
• Barnes & Noble
– Barnes & Noble will promote cancer education and tune-in for the September 5 fundraising telecast through in-store signage and suggested reading lists of cancer-related titles.
• BOOMj, Inc.
– BOOMj Inc. will be donating 50% of the net profit of each BOOMj store sale to SUTC. Go to http://shop.boomj.com/ and type in the code SUTC during checkout.
• Brand New Games LLC
– Brand New Games will donate proceeds from a specially-created Sodoku book, which can be purchased at Brandoku.com.
• Burke Williams
– Burke Williams is donating $20.00 for every weekday vacation card sold from now through August 4, 2009.
• Charity Pro Travel
– Charity Pro Travel Inc. will donate a portion of the proceeds from all travel booked at www.charityprotravel.com thru September 2008.
• eBay, Inc.
– eBay will feature high-profile/experiential charity auctions on eBay Giving Works, with all proceeds going to SU2C, as well as extensive on-site SU2C promotional impressions.
– Evite will create a group of custom SU2C online invitations for people to invite friends and family to tune-in to the September 5 telecast and will promote the show on its website, evite.com.
• Give & Take Tees
– Give and Take Tees will be donating $2.00 for every T-Shirt sold in their Fall 2008 Cancer Collection.
• Jennifer Meyer Jewelry
– Jennifer Meyer will donate 100% of net proceeds from an exclusively-created star necklace made in white and yellow gold, sterling silver and white gold with diamonds, found on www.jennifermeyer.com. The Star is a symbol of Stand Up To Cancer’s Constellation, the online tribute space at www.standup2cancer.org/constellation where one can launch a star for anyone who has received a cancer diagnosis.
• Ingrid Michaelson
– Indie pop songstress Ingrid Michaelson will release “Be OK,” an album of previously unreleased songs, covers, and live recordings, on October 14 via Michaelson’s own Cabin 24 Records with a portion of the proceeds going to SU2C. Michaelson has also designed a “Be OK” necklace for sale at each tour stop and online, with all proceeds going to SU2C.
• The Island Def Jam Music Group
– More than a dozen of the world’s most accomplished female recording artists – Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, Fergie, Sheryl Crow, Miley Cyrus, Melissa Etheridge, Ashanti, Natasha Bedingfield, Keyshia Cole, Ciara, Leona Lewis, LeAnn Rimes, and Carrie Underwood – have joined together for “Just Stand Up,” an unprecedented charity single, produced by L.A. Reid and Kenny ‘Babyface’ Edmonds, available to purchase exclusively on the iTunes store starting September 2nd. 100% of proceeds from the song will be donated to SU2C.
• LR Cosmetics & Services
– LR Cosmetics & Services will be donating 10% of the proceeds from the sale of the Book- “MAKEUP ARTISTS”-The Ultimate Listing Guide for Makeup Artists-The Who’s Who in the Industry, being released in May 2009.
– Muxo Handmade Leather Handbags by Camila Alves and Mother will donate a percentage of proceeds of their new red clutch to SU2C.
• Shining Lion Publications
– Shining Lion Publications, in conjunction with Amazon.com’s Booksurge publishing division, is donating $1.00 for every copy sold of their book GETTING CANCER.
• Stonyfield Farm
– Stonyfield Farm Yogurt is promoting SU2C on 10 million yogurt cup lids and Stonyfield.com through early September. The lids will encourage consumers to get involved, and to honor someone they know who has battled cancer by launching a virtual star at standup2cancer.org.
– Teleflora will feature two bouquets tied to SU2C on www.teleflora.com through July 31, 2009. Every time a consumer purchases either arrangement, Teleflora will donate 20% of the purchase price to the organization.
– WebMD will promote cancer awareness and education to its 48 million monthly unique visitors on www.webmd.com and in “WebMD: The Magazine.”
On September 5, 2008 (8 p.m. EDT and PDT) ABC, CBS and NBC will donate one hour of simultaneous commercial-free primetime for the nationally televised fundraising event aimed at rallying the public around the goal of ending cancer’s reign as a leading cause of death. The special will feature stars from film and television who will perform as well as present filmed content giving viewers insight into cancer. Various screening tests will be demonstrated in novel and entertaining ways. Network news anchors Charles Gibson, Katie Couric and Brian Williams will report on potentially life-saving research, speaking with both patients and scientists.
Many of the world’s most renowned entertainers have pledged their full support for this historic, internationally-televised program. Celebrities confirmed for the September 5th broadcast include: Casey Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Christina Applegate, Lance Armstrong, Josh Brolin, David Cook, Dana Delany, Fran Drescher, Kirsten Dunst, Elizabeth Edwards, Jon Favreau, America Ferrera, Neil Patrick Harris, Salma Hayek, Scarlett Johansson, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Masi Oka, Danica Patrick, Christina Ricci, Robin Roberts, Homer Simpson, Marge Simpson, Meryl Streep, Hilary Swank, Charlize Theron, Goran Visnjic, and Forest Whitaker.
The September 5th broadcast also will feature the premiere of “Just Stand Up,” the all-star charity single benefiting Stand Up To Cancer and produced by L.A. Reid and Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds in their first creative reunion on record in nearly two decades. The performance features more than a dozen of the world’s most accomplished female recording artists including Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, Fergie, Sheryl Crow, Miley Cyrus, Melissa Etheridge, Ashanti, Natasha Bedingfield, Keyshia Cole, Leona Lewis, LeAnn Rimes, and Carrie Underwood.
By bringing together industry professionals, as well as mediums such as television and the web, SU2C will fund cutting-edge research and push cancer from a disease that takes lives to one people can survive.
About Stand Up To Cancer
Stand Up To Cancer is a program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and was established by a group of media, entertainment and philanthropic leaders, whose lives have all been affected by cancer in significant ways.
Stand Up To Cancer’s leadership team includes Katie Couric; Laura Ziskin; the Entertainment Industry Foundation, represented by Board of Directors Chairperson Sherry Lansing (who is also Founder of the Sherry Lansing Foundation), CEO Lisa Paulsen, and Vice President Kathleen Lobb; the Noreen Fraser Foundation and its executives Noreen Fraser (who is also a cancer survivor) and Woody Fraser, and Rusty Robertson and Sue Schwartz also of the Robertson Schwartz Agency; and nonprofit executive Ellen Ziffren, whose husband, noted L.A. attorney Ken Ziffren, played a pivotal role in bringing together the three networks for the broadcast special.
Stand Up To Cancer’s innovative approach to research is designed to eliminate barriers that have traditionally inhibited creativity and collaboration by enabling the best and brightest investigators from leading institutions across the country and internationally to work together. These collaborative “Dream Teams” will pursue the most promising research, accelerating the discovery of new therapies for cancer patients and advancing efforts in cancer prevention research. Stand Up To Cancer monies will also be used for some high-risk, high-impact cancer research proposals, which are often not supported by conventional funding sources. The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), the oldest and largest scientific organization in the world focusing on every aspect of high-quality, innovative cancer research, will conduct expert scientific review of the research projects and administer funds raised through the initiative under the direction of a Scientific Advisory Committee.
# # #
Rubenstein Communications, Inc.