August 26, 2008 – Stand Up to Cancer is joining forces with eBay on a series of exclusive entertainment experiences to help fund innovative cancer research projects. The charity auctions will build awareness for the historic September 5th televised event to be simultaneously broadcast on ABC, NBC and CBS at 8pm EST and PST featuring an extraordinary line-up of actors, musicians, athletes and journalists. Bidders will find an array of exciting items to bid on, with 100% of the proceeds going to Stand Up To Cancer and the fight against the disease. There will be two phases of the charity auction: Aug. 26th-Sept. 5th and Sept. 5th- Sept. 15th at www.ebay.com/standup.
Stand Up To Cancer (www.standup2cancer.org) is a groundbreaking initiative aimed at raising funds to accelerate cancer research and bring new therapies to patients more quickly in order to end cancer’s reign as a leading cause of death.
The featured items include:
• A set visit to Spider-Man 4, with a walk-on role and a meet and greet with the cast. Package also includes tickets to the New York premiere of the film.
• A set visit to Iron Man 2, with a walk-on role and a meet and greet with the cast. Package includes tickets to the Los Angeles premiere of the film.
• A fondue lunch with Stephen Colbert
• A lunch with Judd Apatow to get career advice, and a visit to the set and a walk-on role on his upcoming movie, Funny People starring Adam Sandler, Seth Rogan and Leslie Mann
• A Starbucks Coffee Lovers package, with a tour of the company’s headquarters, a tour of a coffee roasting plant, and gourmet tasting with CEO Howard Schultz
• A round of golf with Sugar Ray Leonard, and a pair of signed boxing gloves
• A spot for two in the EIF/Callaway Foundation golf tournament, including 9 holes with a pro and 18 holes with a celebrity golfer
• Two tickets to a taping of Dancing with the Stars
• A visit to the set of Days of Our Lives and a meet and greet with the cast
• Tickets to a taping of The Oprah Winfrey Show on which Dr. Oz will appear as a guest, and a meet and greet with Dr. Oz after the show
• A makeover guided by celebrity stylist Carson Kressley in New York or Los Angeles
• A visit to the set of the CBS Evening News and a meet and greet with Katie Couric
• Two tickets to The Tonight Show and a meet and greet with Jay Leno
• An original Camila Alves designer handbag, signed by the designer, Ryan Seacrest, Samantha Harris, Matthew McConaughey and Terri Seymour
eBay Giving Works, one of eBay Inc.’s Global Citizenship Initiatives, empowers people to buy and sell for a cause and to date has helped raise more than $150 million for charity from listings on eBay.
About Stand Up To Cancer
Stand Up To Cancer is a program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and was established by a group of media, entertainment and philanthropic leaders, whose lives have all been affected by cancer in significant ways.
Stand Up To Cancer’s leadership team includes Katie Couric; Laura Ziskin; the Entertainment Industry Foundation, represented by Board of Directors Chairperson Sherry Lansing (who is also Founder of the Sherry Lansing Foundation), CEO Lisa Paulsen, and Vice President Kathleen Lobb; the Noreen Fraser Foundation and its executives Noreen Fraser (who is also a cancer survivor) and Woody Fraser, and Rusty Robertson and Sue Schwartz also of the Robertson Schwartz Agency; and nonprofit executive Ellen Ziffren, whose husband, noted L.A. attorney Ken Ziffren, played a pivotal role in bringing together the three networks for the broadcast special.
Stand Up To Cancer’s innovative approach to research is designed to eliminate barriers that have traditionally inhibited creativity and collaboration by enabling the best and brightest investigators from leading institutions across the country and internationally to work together. These collaborative “Dream Teams” will pursue the most promising research, accelerating the discovery of new therapies for cancer patients and advancing efforts in cancer prevention research. Stand Up To Cancer monies will also be used for some high-risk, high-impact cancer research proposals, which are often not supported by conventional funding sources. The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), the oldest and largest scientific organization in the world focusing on every aspect of high-quality, innovative cancer research, will conduct expert scientific review of the research projects and administer funds raised through the initiative under the direction of a Scientific Advisory Committee.
Many leading philanthropists, organizations and corporations support the Stand Up To Cancer mission, including the Sidney Kimmel Foundation as well as Major League Baseball, Amgen, AARP, Bloomberg Philanthropies, GlaxoSmithKline, Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), Revlon, Wallis Annenberg & The Annenberg Foundation, Alliance for Global Good, Lee Jeans, New York Giants, Philips, Saks Fifth Avenue, Steve Tisch, Stonyfield Farm, The Island Def Jam Music Group and many others. In addition to ABC, CBS and NBC, SU2C major media partners include AOL, Condé Nast Media Group, eBay Inc., Facebook, Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., Hearst Corporation, Los Angeles Times, Meredith Corporation, Paypal, The New York Times Company, Time Inc., and WebMD.
Brooke Lawer, ID Public Relations
Karen Bard, eBay